The Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU) is committed to raising awareness and addressing major challenges affecting the health of the Pacific Ocean and its marine and costal resources. We will achieve this by developing an effective network platform, connecting latest research and science with policy makers and international partners while encouraging future leaders to take on these challenges.
As the main network of leading universities linking Asia, Oceania and the Americas, APRU is the Voice of Knowledge and Innovation for the Asia-Pacific region. We bring together thought leaders, researchers, and policy makers to exchange ideas and collaborate on effective solutions to the challenges of the 21st century.
Over the past year APRU has implemented the following initiatives with the aim of supporting the SDG14:
– an international case competition reaching out to over two million students in the Asia-Pacific in partnership with The New York Times, to raise awareness on the impact of climate change on the Pacific Ocean.
– active engagement with UN initiatives and APEC working groups, committing resources and contributing research expertise to address key challenges of the Pacific Ocean.
To protect the Pacific Ocean and its coastal and marine biodiversity, APRU sees a need for Asia-Pacific research experts and higher education institutions to work collaboratively with governments, industry and civil society to create a connected, multidisciplinary approach to support the implementation of SDG14.
APRU IS COMMITTED TO:
1) raising awareness and encouraging future leaders in the Asia-Pacific to engage with problems the Pacific Ocean faces through annual student-focused activities in collaboration with international partners.
2) supporting capacity building across the Asia-Pacific by developing a network of research centers and experts across disciplines, facilitating best practice sharing and cross disciplinary collaborations.
3) building an effective platform connecting latest research and experts across the Asia-Pacific with policy makers and international organizations actively facilitating policy development and implementation.